Formerly House with No Steps and The Tipping Foundation

School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES)

Want to get stuck into work? That’s where School Leaver Employment Supports can help you learn the skills to find a job!

What is School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES)?

Are you about to finish school or have you just left school? Do you want to find a job?

That’s where School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES) can help. It can support you to find, and land, a job.

SLES is an NDIS support for people with a disability – it’s not a set program, but you can get funding for up to two years.

School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES) at Aruma

At Aruma (formerly House with No Steps and The Tipping Foundation), SLES is designed just for you. It’s all about supporting you so that you can achieve your goal of finding, and keeping, a job.

What skills will I learn?

There’s a huge range of skills you can learn to get you ‘job ready’. These include:

  • Searching and applying for a job
  • Writing resumes and cover letters
  • Communicating at work
  • Understanding what your employer needs from you
  • Starting a new job
  • Working in a team
  • Budgeting and money
  • Dressing for work
  • Health and safety
  • Catching public transport

Will I get hands on work experience?

Yes, SLES gives you the chance to have some work experience in open employment.

When you are looking for a job, it can be hard to decide which one would suit you.

By doing work experience you will get a sneak peek at different jobs to see what you like and what suits you.

We always work with trusted companies and can also provide drop-in or full-time support throughout.

How does Aruma teach these skills?

People learn in different ways. That’s why SLES includes both small group and individual activities.

You will always be able to learn at your own pace with as much or as little support as you need.

Can I get a qualification through SLES?

Yes! You will have the chance to get a formal qualification if it relates to a goal in your NDIS plan. These can include:

  • A TAFE or other qualification
  • Workcover white card
  • First aid certificate
  • Barista certificate
  • RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol)
  • RSG (Responsible Service of Gaming)
  • Learner driver licence.

NDIS Support Categories

School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES) is funded under Capacity Building – Finding and Keeping a Job in your NDIS plan.